Monday, June 4, 2007


Golf in the Media

You can’t always be on the golf course, but that does not mean you can’t still enjoy the great game. Every so often I will offer my comments on golf coverage in the media, and, because I love golf books and magazines I will provide book reviews and also commentary from what I read in these sources. Your comments are always welcome.

The Golf Channel has long been one of my favorite stops, both on television and their terrific website. I was delighted when the Golf Channel purchased the weekday rights to PGA golf.

I was even happier when the Golf Channel selected Kelly Tilghman to anchor most of the golf broadcasts. Her knowledge and wit often carry the broadcast. Kelly boasts an attribute that few, if any, of the regular golf anchors can claim. She actually has a golf resume!

It is frustrating that the Golf Channel does not make better use of one of its best assets, Frank Nobilo. This knowledgeable golf commentator and veteran tour professional would make a great color commentator alongside Kelly Tilghman. His approach to covering golf is more about the tournament at hand rather than his own glory days. His refreshing humility, in conjunction with his knowledge and wry humor would make the Golf Channel’s coverage standout above the other networks.

No comments: