Saturday, February 13, 2010

Golf Swings and Golf Slices

Golf swings. We all have one. Some of wish we had a better one. While others have golf swings that are best described as “unique”.

The golf swing is pivotal to scoring well on the golf course.

The best golf swing I ever saw was that of Ben Crenshaw.

The most unique golf swing probably belongs to Jim Furyk. However, when I was a young golfer, tour professional Doug Sanders had a pretty unique golf swing too. Sanders won the Canadian Open in 1956 while still an amateur. His short flat backswing certainly did not hurt his golf game as he won more than 20 tournaments as a professional. I remember trying to emulate his flat back swing and being barely able to hit the golf ball half the distance of my usual golf swing.

But when you look at the graceful golf swing of Ben Crenshaw and then watch Jim Furyk go through his “herky jerky” golf swing motion, you realize that both are great golfers and both have achieved tremendous results on the PGA tour. It is then that you realize that there are a great many different types of golf swings. And, a swing can be adjusted to accommodate just about every golfer.

A few years ago, I played to about a ten handicap. And then it happened. Out of the blue I developed a golf slice and started slicing everything off the tee. I did not lose any distance. I just lost control over where the golf ball was going. And, my golf score soared upwards.

Not long ago, I was playing a golf course when I came upon a hole on the back nine that was a 297 yard dogleg to the right.

Yep, I love that hole. I stood up on the tee and swung away. When I found my golf ball, I was four feet from the hole, pin high. I scored an eagle. Gosh, why can’t every golf hole be a dogleg to the right?

Well, golf courses are not made that way. So, I have to learn how to “fix” my darn golf slice. That is one of the reasons why I am writing this blog. Because I know that I am not alone. Our golf swing, no matter how personal, how perfect, or how imperfect, is the major factor in scoring well on the golf course.

I have paid lots of money to a number of golf professionals and still my golf slice persists. So, this blog is an attempt to research and find my own solution. Whether I get back to a lower handicap is not as important as getting back the feeling that I can control my shot off the tee again. I am getting tired of searching for lost golf balls in tall wet grass early in the morning!


Want to improve your golf game? Check this out!

No comments: